Saturday, February 9, 2013

Honing my inner Better Crocker.



While waiting anxiously for my departure to Brazil, I have been honing my inner Betty Crocker and baking my little heart out. If you know me at all, you know I lo-uh-uh-ve trying new recipes… even if they’re not always a success. I also tend to have a terrible memory when I’m in the kitchen. Rumor has it, I forgot to put the flour into a pineapple upside-down cake once. But, I don’t believe that story for a second (no matter what my father says)!
Lately, I’ve been trying to compile a recipe box of recipes that are tried and true. Meaning they have been perfected by either myself or my mother and are what we consider to be perfect. This is a daunting task, but a fun one. I recently attempted making French Macarons (one of the most temperamental foods I’ve ever baked). They were successful, but nowhere near recipe box worthy though. All in good time.
Today, I baked coffee cake. Something I have tried many times before, but finally nailed it today by adding sour cream to my recipe (who knew?!). Supposedly, the sour cream makes it… moist (sorry for using that word). Served best with a steaming, hot mug of coff–err–hot chocolate, of course.
YES. Into the recipe box it goes… Future generations, you are welcome.
Here’s a picture of the end result:

It was a hit with the fam bam. Pa said, “It’s edible”, which in his language translates to, “This is pure perfection.” Don’t believe me? It was gone in less than six hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment