Sunday, October 7, 2012

My decision to serve.


Image
This is me. Nicole Michelle Hargrove. This photo was taken on October 6, 2012, and one of the most profound days in my life thus far. Today is the day that Latter-day Saint Prophet, Thomas S. Monson announced that the ages that LDS missionaries can enter the mission field has changed. Let me tell you my story…
I had planned to sleep in today. It was one of the only mornings that I had had off in a while and I was excited to catch up on my Zzz’s before work tonight. At around 9:00 AM, my mom came into my room and said, “Nicole! You better wake up! Sister Bingham just texted me and told me they changed the missionary age at General Conference this morning!” Immediately, I was wide awake and reaching for my laptop. This is when the waterworks began. All of the sudden I was ugly crying and searching frantically for the video of General Conference. Here is what he said: “…Today, I am pleased to announce, that able, young women, with the desire to serve, may be recommended for missionary service, beginning at age 19, instead of age 21.” (Here’s the link if you want to watch it.) Just writing about it makes me teary!
I have never been so effected by a single sentence in my entire life. This may sound a little selfish, but I feel like this revision was made specifically for me! The timing could not have been anymore perfect. For the past year or so, I have, unknowingly, been preparing for this! From my wisdom teeth and passport, to my social life and higher education, I have been preparing to serve a mission a little earlier than I thought!
So, to start things off, I Facebooked my Bishop’s wife today, and set up an appointment to begin my mission papers and I am ECSTATIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment